How to Deal with Itchy Skin During the Third Trimester of Pregnancy
Before stepping into motherhood, a woman begins to prepare herself and her surroundings for the safe arrival of her little angel into this world. Unfortunately, certain things are unpredictable. They may even seem irrelevant in the beginning, but if not treated at the right time, it can cause uneasiness for the mother, and therefore, to the unborn child. One such noticeable issue faced by women around the world is itching during pregnancy.
As the mother’s body stretches to create enough space for the baby, the skin begins to tighten, which is one of the main causes of itching during pregnancy. Another reason can be an increased supply of blood to the skin. Thankfully, there are several things you can do that will help yourself deal with itchy skin during third trimester in the most natural ways. Some of the remedies for itching during pregnancy are listed below.
1. Use Cold Compresses: Ice packs always work. All you really have to do is take a pack and place it in the affected area. This should immediately give you relief from itching during pregnancy and even reduce swelling, if any. This is one of the simplest and effortless remedies for itching during pregnancy.
2. Use Lemon Juice: Lemon juice contains antimicrobial elements in it, which helps in removing any microbes causing itching during pregnancy in 9th month. Just squeeze some amount of juice from a lemon and dilute it with water. Then, dab the solution on the affected area with cotton.
3. Try Gram Flour Paste: Gram flour, also known as besan, has been noted to keep skin fresh and soft. Therefore, using this paste often will allow you to keep your skin moisturised, avoiding itchy skin during third trimester.
4. Keep Coconut Oil Handy: As Indians, we have been showered with the knowledge of the benefits of coconut oil since childhood. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise to you that rubbing a few drops of this magical ingredient on the affected area can help ease your pain and avoid itchy skin during third trimester.
5. Try Aloe Vera Gel: The Aloe Vera plant contains a gel-like ingredient that has been known to cure most skin problems. But did you know that this same ingredient can also help with itching in pregnancy? This is mainly because the gel has anti-inflammatory and hydrating properties that can make the skin smooth and reduce itching during pregnancy in 8th month.
6. Give Baking Soda a Try: The last one in this list is a very popular household item - baking soda. Just make a thick paste with water and apply it to the affected area. You will instantly see a difference. Once the paste dries off, wash it with cold water. The paste is known to restore the skin’s pH level and decrease itching during pregnancy in 8th month.
It is important to understand that while most of the times itching in pregnancy is considered quite common, severe itching during pregnancy in 9th month should not be dismissed. This is because it may indicate chances of ICP or Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy, which is a liver condition and requires immediate medical attention. Make sure to always be mindful of your body and do not ignore any symptoms that may threaten your health or that of your unborn child.
Prepare for the delivery day in advance; pack your hospital bag for delivery now! Make a list of all essentials for you and your baby while you anxiously wait for your baby’s arrival into this world.
Join Pampers Club and get: